This halloumi pasta recipe is a winner when you want something delicious without spending too much time in the kitchen. This easy family meal only requires a few ingredients, and is ready in just 20 minutes. Plus, it's perfect for leftovers, making it a practical choice for busy days. If you're looking for a simple yet incredibly tasty meal, this halloumi and tomato pasta is it!
This creamy mushroom pasta is another great vegetarian pasta, or if you want to keep it tomato-based, this pasta amatriciana is a quick and easy choice, or something a little bit bolder than the others is this 15-minute pasta puttanesca.
- ⭐️ Why this halloumi pasta must be on your "quick and easy" dinner list!
- 🧾 Essential ingredients for halloumi pasta
- 👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step: how to make halloumi pasta in 20 minutes
- 📖 Variations and additions to elevate your recipe
- 🍯 Storing and reheating leftovers
- 💡 Chef's pro tips for recipe success
- ❓Recipe FAQ's
- More easy pasta recipes:
- More halloumi recipes
- Easy Halloumi Pasta with Rich Tomato Sauce
- Meet the Chef!
⭐️ Why this halloumi pasta must be on your "quick and easy" dinner list!
- Effortless preparation: This halloumi pasta recipe requires minimal effort and is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a quick and satisfying meal.
- Short cooking time: With simple ingredients and straightforward steps, you can have this on the table in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect family dinner.
- Customisable flavours: You can easily customise the flavours to suit your preferences by adjusting the seasonings, pasta type, or additional ingredients.
- Leftover friendly: Leftovers of this simple pasta are just as delicious, making it a practical choice for meal planning and saving time on future dinners.
🧾 Essential ingredients for halloumi pasta
In this section, I've outlined the key ingredients and why they're essential in the recipe. For precise measurements, refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Spaghetti (or any pasta of your choice): This halloumi pasta recipe is versatile and pairs well with various pasta styles. Personally, I prefer using long noodles like spaghetti for this dish.
- Block of halloumi: The perfect balance between saltiness and firmness, pan-fried (or grilled) halloumi eliminates the need for excessive seasoning in the sauce. *You can make grilled halloumi instead of pan-frying it for a smoky flavour.
- Cherry tomatoes in a tin (or chopped tomatoes): While chopped tomatoes can be used, I recommend tin cherry tomatoes for their ability to infuse the sauce with a rich sweetness that chopped tomatoes may lack. *Using chopped tomatoes will produce a sauce similar to this one with the meatballs in tomato sauce.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – a kitchen staple: I highly recommend keeping a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in your fridge. They're a kitchen staple that comes to the rescue when you must whip up a quick and flavourful dinner. This sun-dried tomato pasta is always a winner when cupboards are empty.
- Chargrilled peppers – sweet and smoky: These chargrilled peppers are sweet and smoky and incredibly versatile. They can be tossed into pasta and soups or used to elevate salads.
- Garlic and tomato seasoning – a flavour booster: Elevate the flavour of your halloumi pasta with garlic and tomato seasoning. You can use any type of pasta seasoning that you have on hand.
👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step: how to make halloumi pasta in 20 minutes
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
1 & 2: Prepare and fry the halloumi
- Slice the halloumi into 1 cm thick slices.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Gently add the halloumi slices to the hot pan.
- Fry the halloumi until it's golden and crispy on both sides. Remove the halloumi slices from the pan and set them aside.
3 & 4: Make the tomato sauce
- In the same pan, pour in the cherry tomatoes and burst them with a sharp knife.
- Add garlic and tomato seasoning to enhance the sauce and bring it to a gentle simmer.
5 & 6: Add Peppers, Tomatoes, and Cream
- Slice the chargrilled peppers and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir them into the simmering tomato sauce.
- Pour in the cream and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and whisk thoroughly. Adjust the sauce's thickness with water to your liking.
7: Toss Pasta and Herbs, Serve
- Drain the cooked spaghetti. Add the drained spaghetti to the sauce and coat it evenly.
- Stir in the chopped herbs for a burst of freshness.
- Place the fried halloumi slices on top of the pasta. Serve with parmesan and herbs.
📖 Variations and additions to elevate your recipe
Tired of the same recipe? Explore easy variations below to refresh your favourite meal without the learning curve of a new dish. Add in some chorizo, or turn this into a halloumi pasta bake. The options below are great places to start.
- Tomato Sauce Variations:
- Experiment with different types of tomato sauce, such as spicy, chunky, or roasted tomato sauce, to give your pasta a unique twist. The tomato sauce that I use in the prawn pasta is a great alternative.
- Vegetable Medley:
- Enhance the dish's flavour and nutrition by adding extra veggies like courgette (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), olives, capers, bell peppers, asparagus, peas, or your favourite vegetables. I've got a pasta alla norma that you could combine with this halloumi pasta recipe.
- Create a Mediterranean-inspired version by incorporating ingredients like black olives, capers, and roasted bell peppers.
- Grilled or Roasted Vegetables:
- Elevate your halloumi pasta by tossing in some grilled or roasted vegetables. They bring a smoky and charred dimension to the dish.
🍯 Storing and reheating leftovers
- Fridge Storage: Store your halloumi pasta in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer (Sauce Only): For extended storage, freeze the sauce separately. It reheats beautifully without compromising quality.
- Thawing: When ready to use the frozen sauce, transfer it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw overnight. This gradual thawing preserves the sauce's texture and flavour.
- Reheating: Reheat the refrigerated pasta by gently warming it on the stovetop over low to medium heat, adding a touch of water or cream to get the right consistency.
- For the frozen sauce, gently heat it in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until fully thawed and warmed.
💡 Chef's pro tips for recipe success
Leveraging years of experience in Michelin-starred kitchens and Cordon Bleu training, I offer straightforward, effective tips to ensure your culinary success.
- Perfectly golden halloumi: Ensure your frying pan and oil are hot enough before adding halloumi slices. This ensures they fry quickly and attain that ideal golden colour.
- Balanced seasoning: With halloumi's natural saltiness, be cautious with additional seasoning. Taste before adding more salt, as the cheese may provide enough saltiness for your dish.
- Creamy consistency: Adjust the sauce thickness to your liking by adding a touch of water or cream. This ensures you get the creamy consistency that suits your palate.
While halloumi has a unique texture and saltiness, you can experiment with other cheeses like feta or paneer if you prefer a different flavor profile.
Taste the halloumi first, as it can vary in saltiness. Adjust the seasoning accordingly and avoid adding extra salt until you assess the dish's taste.
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favourite pasta variety. The recipe is versatile and pairs well with different pasta shapes. Penne, fettuccini and rigatoni all work well to hold the sauce.
Enjoyed this halloumi pasta? Share your thoughts and star rating in the comments – I’d love to hear from you!
Craving more comfort food? Visit our sister site, Salted Mint, for easy, delicious recipes with everyday ingredients.
Easy Halloumi Pasta with Rich Tomato Sauce
- 300 g (⅔ lb) Spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 1 (1) block halloumi, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 400 g (2 ½ cups) tin cherry tomatoes
- 5 (5) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 5 pieces (5 pieces) roasted peppers, sliced
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) cream
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) garlic and tomato seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) parsley, chopped
Prepare and fry the halloumi
- Slice the halloumi into 1 cm thick slices. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Gently add the halloumi slices to the hot pan. Fry the halloumi until it's golden and crispy on both sides.
- Remove the halloumi slices from the pan and set them aside.
Make the tomato sauce
- In the same pan, pour in the tin of cherry tomatoes and burst them with a sharp knife. Add 2 tablespoons of garlic and tomato seasoning to intensify the sauce's flavour.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
Add Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Cream
- Slice the roasted peppers and chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Stir them into the simmering tomato sauce.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of cream and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and zest for a zesty twist.
- Adjust the sauce's thickness with water or cream to your desired consistency.
Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and zest
- Drain the cooked spaghetti and add it to the sauce, and toss to coat it evenly. Stir in 1 tablespoon of chopped basil and 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley for a burst of freshness.
- Place the fried halloumi slices on top of the pasta. Serve with parmesan cheese.
- Halloumi storage: To keep halloumi fresh, store it in an airtight container in the fridge, preserving its taste and texture for future use.
- Sauce make-ahead: If you're short on time, prepare the sauce in advance and refrigerate it. This allows you to enjoy a quick and delicious meal on busy days.
- Flavourful leftovers: Reheat refrigerated pasta gently on the stovetop with a splash of liquid to maintain its creamy texture, ensuring that leftovers are just as delightful as the freshly made dish.