This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta is an easy dinner that will satisfy all of your carb cravings. With spinach, fresh basil and briny capers mixed in, this easy (budget-friendly) pasta recipe will feel like summer but only using simple pantry friendly ingredients.
Pasta recipes are the ultimate in quick and simple dinner staples. So much so, that I've got a lot of them. Like this creamy tomato chicken pasta, or this halloumi pasta, or a cheesy tortellini pasta bake for the ultimate comfort pasta dinner. This creamy tomato pasta is also a great option.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Tagliatelle- or another long pasta noodle.
- Baby spinach- this stuff comes washed and ready to use making it a dinner saviour.
- Sundried tomatoes- a pantry staple that works in so many recipes.
- Single cream- feel free to use double cream here, but the single cream will save you some calories and you won't taste a difference.
- Onion and garlic- you can't make pasta without these 2 important flavour builders.
- Dried thyme- just helps to enhance the flavour of the dish.
- Fresh basil- complements the sundried tomatoes and spinach perfectly.
- Capers- they are optional but bring a gorgeous briny, salty tang that cuts through the cream and brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes.
- Lemon juice- brings the whole dish together and makes all the flavours really bright and fresh.
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2
- Heat some olive oil (or vegetable oil) in a skillet or a shallow pan and heat the onions and garlic until they are soft, translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the chopped sundried tomatoes and give everything a really good stir.
Step 3 & 4
- Pour in the cream and bring it to a gentle simmer. Toss in the spinach and let it wilt from the heat of the cream.
- You may need to add some water to thin out the cream a little. Squeeze in the lemon juice and toss in the pasta noodles. Add in the chopped basil.
This creamy sundried tomato pasta is so versatile. It's perfect for adding in extra veggies or other herbs that you might have. Some options are...
- Fresh herbs like parsley and thyme.
- Dried herbs like oregano, thyme and mixed herbs.
- Add in some olives or marinated artichokes to give a very Meditteranean flavour.
- To add in some extra protein you can toss with some grilled chicken, halloumi or even a tin of tuna- just be sure to drain it first.
I've been reheating this pasta for the last 2 days and it's a lifesaver. Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Because of the cream in this pasta, it thickens a lot as it cools, so you may need to add in a splash of water as you reheat.
I wouldn't recommend freezing this pasta because the cream will split as it defrosts.
Creamy sundried tomato pasta sauce tossed with silky noodles and topped with fresh basil and briny, salty capers. The perfect 30-minute (budget-friendly) vegetarian pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 200ml single cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 50-100ml water or vegetable stock
- 50g baby spinach
- ½ bunch basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 400g cooked pasta
- Heat some olive oil (or vegetable oil) in a skillet or a shallow pan and heat the onions and garlic until they are soft, translucent and fragrant. Stir in the dried thyme and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and give everything a really good stir.
- Pour in the cream and bring it to a gentle simmer. Toss in the spinach and let it wilt from the heat of the cream. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- You may need to add in some water to thin out the cream a little. Toss in the pasta noodles, taste and adjust the seasoning. Add in the chopped basil, and top with the drained capers and serve.
- This pasta can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Because of the cream, this pasta thickens a lot as it cools, so you may need to add in a splash of water as you reheat.
- This pasta isn’t great for freezing because the cream will split as it defrosts.
- Category: pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Sundried tomato pasta, creamy pasta, Aldi recipes, Budget cooking
Need help with meal planning? You can find our (Aldi ingredients only) weekly meal plans here! Sign up to receive them free every week or take our quick meal planning course and grab the blank meal planner and use all these recipes to create your own meal plans.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
All ingredients are from Aldi, so it's a budget-friendly meal that is perfect for meal planning and weekend meal prep.