This slow cooker chicken korma is bold flavour punch. But still super simple. Silky coconut milk, seared golden chicken, and a large helping of a fragrant spice mix. Let it all simmer and when you get to it, you've got dinner ready!
A korma is usually the "gateway drug" to new curry lovers. Super fragrant and flavourful, but pretty mild on the spice. Now, because we only use Aldi ingredients here, you can imagine that we'd never use the word "authentic" to describe any recipe we make. So, we're skipping the lengthy list of spices that you'll only use twice a year and we're using this new spice mix from Aldi. It covers pretty much all the spice bases, except for some chilli flakes (1000% not traditional, but I love them!) and some turmeric.
Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Slow Cooker or Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Chicken thighs- you can use breast here, but thighs are cheaper and have a higher fat content making them perfect for the slow cooker
- Korma spice blend & turmeric- the backbone of this whole dish! If you don't shop at Aldi you can get a similar blend from other grocery stores.
- Shallots, fresh ginger & garlic- bring a bright, fresh flavour to the curry. They're staple flavours in Indian cooking.
- Greek yoghurt- to mix with the spices for marinating the chicken. Really important to use full fat so that your sauce doesn't split.
- Tomato paste & coconut milk- Add these to the slow cooker when you add the chicken in.
- Lemon zest- To bring extra flavour and balance out the spices
- Fresh coriander- for serving
Step by step slow cooker korma
- Step 1 & 2- Mix the Greek yoghurt and spices into a thick paste. Add in the chicken and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight or on the worktop for about 30-45 minutes. Usually, I'm running behind and can't organise myself enough to marinate overnight and this quick room temperature marinade works like a charm. Especially when everything is going to be in the slow cooker, so has lots of time to absorbs all the flavours.
- Step 3 & 4- Like I said in yesterday's post, if you have a stovetop friendly slow cooker bowl, then you can so this right in the slow cooker. Otherwise just heat up some oil in a nonstick skillet and sautee the onion, garlic and ginger on medium heat until they're soft and fragrant. This should only take about 5-10 minutes. Once that's done, scrape that into the slow cooker and sear the chicken thighs.
- To sear them, pull the chicken out of the yogurt marinade, scraping off any excess yogurt and place the chicken thighs in the hot nonstick skillet and let them get golden brown on both sides. We just want the to colour, not to cook as they will finish cooking in the slow cooker. *Keep the marinade. It forms the base of the sauce.
Step 5 & 6- Place the chicken, yogurt marinade, tomato paste and coconut milk in the slow cooker and give everything a really good stir. Turn the slow cooker to high or low depending on your time line. Once the chicken is cooked serve with rice and plenty of naan bread.
I kept this recipe as minimal as possible with the ingredient list so that you can make your own adaptations. Traditional korma is served with raisins or sultanas and flaked almonds, as well as having desiccated coconut and mango chutney mixed in. Personally, I find all of that just too sweet for me. But, if you prefer a more traditional approach, then feel free to add them in.
- Flaked almonds- toast them and sprinkle over the chicken before serving.
- Sultanas- sprinkle over the top before serving, or stir into the slow cooker in the last 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
- Mango chutney- stir in a couple of tablespoons to the slow cooker in the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.
Serving Chicken Korma
Okay. For me, there are only a couple of non-negotiables when it comes to serving Korma. It's all about the sauce with this dish rather than the condiments and sides. But. I'll list a few here, in case you're all about the sides... or both. Why choose. Don't limit yourself like that!
- Naan bread
- Chopped coriander
- Mango chutney
- Toasted flaked almonds.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Tools used to make this Slow Cooker Korma
- Sear & Stew Slow Cooker (all these recipes are made with the 3.5l, but they have a 5 litre too!)
- Nonstick skillet
Slow Cooker Chicken Korma Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 shallot sliced finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inch piece ginger minced
- 4 tablespoons korma mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 kg chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut in half
- ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Mix the yoghurt with the turmeric, korma spice, chilli flakes and lemon zest. Place the yogurt mix in a large bowl or a ziplock bag and add in the chicken. Rub the marinade into the chicken and leave in the marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
- If your slow cooker has a searing setting or can go on the hob, then heat it over medium heat and add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Otherwise, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken from the marinade and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Once the chicken is browned remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the skillet or the slow cooker. Add in the onion, shallot, ginger and garlic. Gently fry for about 10 minutes until the onions are golden. Stir in the Greek yogurt mix, tomato paste and coconut milk. Bring everything to a gentle simmer and add the chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!