This roasted tomato soup recipe is rich, full of flavour and the perfect quick recipe to get us all through the looong month of February. This recipe is all about fresh tomatoes and lots of garlic. And obviously a very generous handful of fresh basil. All the ingredients are from Aldi, too. Because we're all about the one-stop-shop around here!
Roasted Tomato Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Soup pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Okay. All you need to think about for this recipe is cutting some tomatoes. Yup. That's pretty much it. This warming and easy recipe is a sheet pan only affair. Chopped fresh tomatoes, sliced red onion and lots of garlic. You can only imagine the smells that will be happening when your tray of veggies hits that oven. So, let's talk about how we're going to make this happen.
Ingredients needed for roasted tomato soup
- Fresh tomatoes on the vine
- Red onion
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
Step By Step Roasted Tomato Soup
- Quarter the tomatoes and slice the onions
- Place the chopped onions and tomatoes in a roasting tin and drizzle with some olive oil and toss them well
- Scatter with 10 sprigs of thyme and add 6 peeled cloves of garlic
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven until they start to soften and turn sweet and the onions start to char on the edges (about 30 minutes)
- Once the tomatoes are roasted, add all the contents of the tray to a blender and add a large handful of basil. Blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. Add some vegetable broth or water (if required) until your soup is a perfect consistency. (Or you can add all the tomatoes to a pan and use a stick blender.) You may not get an as smooth texture, but it'll still be amazing
Let's be honest about what this soup really is. It's a warm and fuzzy jumper is soup form. It's the thing that is gonna pull us into the warmer weather of March and it's going to do it all in one roasting tin and with 6 ingredients and we'll be forever grateful for the simplicity of roasted winter tomatoes and garlic.
Oh. And you absolutely 10000% must serve this soup with those bacon-wrapped cheese straws that I posted yesterday. Not negotiable!
Roasted Tomato FAQ's
Why roast fresh tomatoes instead of using tinned?
- Okay. When fresh tomatoes get roasted the sugars start to concentrate and the tomatoes turn rich and sweet. Same with the onions and the garlic. So, when we can roast them we're building so. much. flavour. But if you use tinned then, we're not really able to roast them because there's a lot of liquid.
Want to add more veggies? Try these ones
- Red Pepper
*Special note. This recipe is a little on the small side. As in it serves 2 really large bowls (soup for supper size) with a small bowl or two of leftovers for your desk lunch the next day. But let's be real. We both know you're gonna grab a few spoonfuls as you pack this into your containers for the fridge. How do I know that? Because it's exactly what I did. And just know that I fully support you in that decision to do the same.
Roasted tomato soup all day every day, y'all!
More hearty and warming soups loaded with flavour!
- Bacon White Bean soup
- Spicy Squash Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Tools used to make this roasted tomato soup
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!