What's more comforting than a steaming bowl of chicken and rice soup? CREAMY chicken and rice soup! This simple soup is low on effort and super high on the health and comfort factor. And of course, you know it's going to be affordable and easy because as always all the ingredients are from Aldi UK. Because we love a one-stop-shop and we love affordable! ♥
This soup is the perfect homemade chicken rice soup to make on a cold autumn day, because it's creamy and hearty and delicious, but it's also healthy and full of vegetable. There are so many amazing things about this soup.
But here are the 5 best things about this creamy hearty homemade chicken soup!
- It's perfect for meal prep
- Creamy without using cream!
- This soup is made with fresh chicken, not rotisserie chicken
- You can make it on the stovetop, or you can toss it in the slow cooker. (I've included instructions for both.)
- You can file this soup under "ways to use leftover chicken with rice." If you made roast chicken on Sunday (and millions of us did!)... this is how you want to use the leftovers.
Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Chicken and Rice Soup Ingredients
- Stock Cube
Step By Step for Creamy Chicken Soup with Rice
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and sautee the mushrooms. We want a deep golden brown here. Taking a little extra time to brown the mushrooms well will pay off big time in the flavour department. Once the mushrooms are deep golden remove them to a bowl and set aside while you soften the onions, carrot and celery. Add in the garlic here too.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add in the rice and give everything a good stir. As the vegetables soften, they'll start to lose some moisture into the pan and you want to stir the rice so it gets coated in all the lovely vegetable juices. Return the mushrooms to the pan. Slowly add the hot stock to the pot. You want the vegetables and rice to be covered by the stock. If you need to add a little more stock or water then that's fine. This is also where you add in the chicken pieces. Bring everything to a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes. The chicken and rice should both be cooked in that time.
Make the Roux Sauce
- Making a roux sauce for this soup rather than adding cream just gives it a hearty thickness that cream just can't achieve. To make the roux sauce melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add in the flour and whisk to combine. Once you have a thick paste, slowly add in the milk whisking the whole time to avoid creating lumps. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour the roux sauce into your pot of chicken rice soup and adjust the seasoning. Feel free to add a little more stock or water to get the consistency you love.
Rice Soup FAQ's
Q. Can you add uncooked rice to this soup?
- A. Heck yes! This is the only way to make this soup. Starting with uncooked rice and letting it cook directly in the soup, just means that it soaks up all that chicken goodness and vegetable deliciousness.
Q. Does this soup keep in the fridge?
- A. Why, yes. Yes, it does. But I will let you know, as it sits in the fridge, the rice absorbs more of the soup liquid and you may need to add some more water on reheating it or have it as a warm chicken and rice bowl. Either way, you've just won dinner time because both are out of this world amazing!
To recap real quick... this soup is...
- Creamy without cream
- Full of tender chicken and veggies
- Has the comfort of rice
- Is super easy to make
The only thing left to say is move over chicken noodle soup! Moooove Over!
More Gorgeous Soup Recipes You'll Love!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!