A simple slow cooker vegetable soup with 3 cheese tortellini is the perfect soothing soup for comfort. Sweet onions, juicy tomatoes and a handful of greens all snuggled around some 3 cheese tortellini. All you need is some fresh bread and you've got soup season perfection.
We're well into slow cooker week and we're going with a light minestrone style soup. This soup is super easy, especially and very humble. You won't find any exotic or trendy ingredients here. Just piles and piles of veggies and of course a very healthy helping of 3 cheese tortellini.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Soup or Slow Cooker pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Onion, celery, carrots- This is what's called mirepoix and it is the flavour base of this soup.
- Mini potatoes
- Vegetable stock cube- Brings so much extra flavour than making this soup with water. Also, because stock cubes are highly seasoned, they are a perfect way to season your soup without adding too much salt.
- Tinned tomatoes
- Cheese tortellini- You can add another type of pasta, but I like a filled pasta so that this soup becomes a complete meal.
- Herbs- Dried thyme, oregano and basil
Step by step (How to make Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup)
- Step 1 & 2- Start with a drop of olive oil in your nonstick skillet or in the bowl of your slow cooker if it's hob proof. I use the Sear & Stew slow cooker which I LOVE, but I have an induction hob, so I use this nonstick skillet. Soften the onion, carrot, and celery in the olive oil and add in the dried herbs.
- Once all the veggie are soft place them in the slow cooker and add in the potatoes.
Step 3 & 4- Add the tin of tomatoes to the slow cooker and dissolve the stock cube in some boiling water. Add the stock and top up with water. Cook on high for about 3 hours or on low for about 5 hours.
In the last 30 minutes of cooking add in the tortellini and the spinach. Replace the lid and continue to cook until the pasta is done. About 30 minutes.
Once the Pasta is done you just ladle this steaming hot soup into giant bowls and call it a day. Maybe you serve with some bread (I always serve with bread) or maybe you're content with the level of carbs already present in this soup and you just go with it. I dunno. I'm just not that person. My carb levels know no limits.
Oh. But wait. Pepper. Bold and aggressive grinds of fresh black pepper. You'll know it's enough pepper when you don't sneeze, but your nose tingles ever so slightly.
Now, let's talk variations and additions...
Variations and additions
Lately, I'm intentionally keeping the ingredients lists as short as possible, but adding in some variations and additions that you can use to give your recipes some oomph! I'm doing this because so many people are really needing to count the pounds and pennies right now and I don't want anyone to look at a recipe and think that they can't make it because they don't have some of the ingredients. But for those who want a little more, you've got options.
- Smoked pancetta lardons- Obviously this soup would no longer be vegetarian but still very delicious.
- Parmesan cheese- Shavings of cheese for serving would be an amazing addition and bring a salty and creamy texture.
- Pesto- A few spoons of premade basil pesto is like a flavour bomb for this soup.
- Skip the tortellini- Use something like macaroni (which Aldi now stocks)
- Green bean and frozen peas- Amazing addition to get more greens in this soup.
- A tin of white beans- Extra protein and all the good stuff.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Tools used to make this Vegetable SoupPrint
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!