The easiest apple crumble cake you'll ever make. No fancy ingredients or equipment. Just tangy, juicy sweet apples, in a moist fluffy cake base with a crunchy buttery, crumble topping. And all the ingredients are available from Aldi.
The Easiest Apple Crumble Cake
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Cake or Dessert pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
For all my fellow lovers of all things autumn, and warm with hints of cinnamon... this is OUR TIME! So welcome. This is apple crumble cake heaven! We're using wonky apples because we're not bothered about perfection here. Quite the opposite. We're in love with knobbly bits of crumble topping, irregularly shaped apples and all things less than perfect. Think less "Bake Off" and more "Home Baked"
So, I know you just want to get right to the good bits. What ingredients you need for making this apple cake and how to do it step by step...
Ingredients for Apple Crumble Cake
- Wonky apples (or regular apples) But make sure it's something sweet and juicy like a cox or a Braeburn
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
How to Make Apple Cake Step By Step (Super Easy)
- Get a large bowl and cream together your butter and sugar. *Important note to make sure that your butter is room temperature. It will cream so much better. If your butter is too cold, give it a quick warm in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it's soft. Use an electric hand whisk to do this rather than a wooden spoon or spatula. It will make it so much easier and you'll have much better results.
- Add the eggs and whisk again until fluffy.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder). Gently fold until incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Place in a cake tin lined with some baking paper and grease the sides. Place the thinly sliced apples on top and set aside while you mix the crumble.
To make the Crumble Topping
- Melt the butter in a microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl measure out the sugar, cinnamon and flour. Pour the butter over and mix with a wooden spoon until it turns into a crumbly, buttery mixture.
- Scatter the crumble over the cake and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool (if you can wait). Slice and devour!
Apple Crumble Cake Pro Tips
To warm up the butter quickly place in a microwave for a few seconds at a time until soft
To warm up eggs quickly place them in a bowl of warm tap water for a few minutes.
Once you bake this cake and your whole house smells like apples and cinnamon and autumn itself you will feel like the baking hero you truly are and you are gonna love it! ♥
More Sweet Stuff On Savvy Bites
Tools used to make this Apple Crumble CakePrint
The perfect apple crumble cake is easy recipe that will give you a soft and fluffy cake with the best buttery crumble topping.Using ingredients from Aldi UK.
- 120g butter, softened
- 130g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
For the Crumble Topping
- 115g melted butter
- 220g flour
- 135g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 165ºC and line the bottom of a 20cm cake tin and grease the sides with non stick baking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and eggs and whisk again until the eggs are incorporated into the butter mixture. (See notes)
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and the baking powder. Fold the dry ingredients into the eggs and butter mixture taking care not to over mix. Spread the cake mixture into the cake tin and top with the thinly sliced apples. Set aside while you make the crumble.
- To make the crumble topping, melt the butter in a microwave or over a medium heat in a small sauce pan. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Pour the melted butter over the flour and mix until a butter crumble is formed.
- Scatter this over the top of the apple cake and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out with only a few crumbs on it.
When adding the eggs, the cake mix may start to look curdled. This is absolutely fine and will come back once you add the flour. This will have absolutely no bearing on how the cake bakes or the final results.
Keywords: apple cake, cinnamon, coffee, autumn, Aldi
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!