Hello! And welcome to Baked Gnocchi Season! It’s a “cosy one pan, oven to table dinner” kind of season. You know that time of day where all you want to do is come home from work and curl up on the sofa with a big bowl of delicious and watch some Netflix. This baked gnocchi is going to make that happen for you! And the real bonus is that it’s all from Aldi UK. One-stop-shop love! ♥
Easy Baked Gnocchi
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Okay. Are you into this or are YOU INTO THIS?
Let’s note a couple of VIP’s (very important properties). This baked gnocchi is:
- Quick & Easy
- Cosy & Delicious
- Full of Pantry Ingredients
- Everything from Aldi UK
But let’s get back on track about the nitty-gritty of putting this little pan of heaven together, shall we?
How to make baked gnocchi step by step.
First, pick up your ingredients. You can get these from anywhere of course, but I’ve picked everything up from Aldi. Because convenience, right?! You’ll need:
- Potato Gnocchi (The fresh or the package in the pasta aisle is fine)
- An Onion
Once you’ve got all your ingredients you’ll pull it all together like this:
- Sautee onion and garlic
- Add tomato passata
- Stir in spinach and ricotta
- Add gnocchi and spinach- stir to coat and combine everything
- Top with mozzarella and bake.
Yeah. You read that right. Only 5 steps separate you from pillowy soft potato gnocchi swimming in creamy tomato sauce topped with melted pools of golden stringy mozzarella.
As per usual here are some quick add-in’s or swaps that you might want to try.
- Mascarpone instead of ricotta
- Instead of potato gnocchi, you can use sweet potato or cauliflower gnocchi.
- Add in some courgette for extra veggies
- Use kale instead of spinach
- Add in some cooked chicken if that takes your fancy and you’re looking for more protein.
Do you need to boil the gnocchi before you place it in the oven?
No! That’s what makes this particular recipe so great. You don’t need to be boiling of those soft little dumplings. They boil and cook in the sauce whilst in the oven melting all that cheese.
Gnocchi cooks so quickly that the package instructions only require boiling for 2 minutes anyway. When the gnocchi is baked, it’s in the oven for about 30 minutes, which is plenty of time to get that gnocchi cooked in the sauce.
More Italian Favourites from Savvy Bites
Tools used to make this Baked Gnocchi
This baked gnocchi is a quick and easy dinner that gets a cozy meal on the table in minutes with almost no effort. All ingredients from Aldi UK.
- 500g potato gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g passata
- 1 250g tub ricotta
- 3 springs rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 bag washed baby Spinach
- 1 fresh mozzarella (fresh) sliced
- 200g Parmesan (optional, grated)
- Preheat the oven to 200c. In a medium oven safe, hob safe pan or dish, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Saute the onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to sweat until the garlic is soft. Add some chopped rosemary.
- Add the passata to the pan and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the ricotta until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach and gnocchi into the sauce and stir to coat the gnocchi and wilt the spinach. Grate the parmesan over the gnocchi is using and top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
This is perfect for leftovers for taking to work of for another dinner, but it doesn’t freeze well. This will keep in the fridge for 4 days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta bake, gnocchi, oven to table dinner
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!