Pesto chicken pasta is a light 30-minute dinner that is so easy to put together. Crispy pan-seared chicken breast, creamy basil pesto sauce and cheesy fresh mozzarella to top it all off.
This easy pasta dish is the perfect Mediterranean style dish. With fresh black pepper, olive oil and chopped walnuts bring it all together.
Pesto Chicken Pasta
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- chicken breast- boneless, skinless
- pesto- you can use a jar of premade or you can make your own
- chicken stock cube- you can use water instead of stock if you prefer
- cream- single is just fine for this recipe and will save you some calories
- lemon- zest and juice
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2
Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of baking parchment and use a rolling pin to gently pound them out to an even thickness all over. Season well with salt and pepper.
Step 3 & 4
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and once the oil shimmers, place the chicken breast in the pan and sear on both sides for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is golden and cooked throughout. Place on a plate and set aside while you make the sauce.
- In the same non-stick skillet, heat the garlic until it's starting to turn golden.
Step 5 & 6
- Add in the pesto and stir well.
- Pour in the chicken stock and cream and bring to a simmer. Add in the cooked noodles and place the sliced chicken breast over top.
- Drizzle with some more olive oil, cracked black pepper and fresh mozzarella.
- Red pesto (sun-dried tomatoes) instead of the basil pesto.
- Turkey fillets instead of chicken- this will keep the pasta very lean and high in protein.
Easy pesto chicken pasta! Rich herby pesto sauce with silky noodles and crispy golden chicken. The perfect easy creamy pasta dinner!
- 400g pasta (any type of noodle)
- 2 large chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 80g basil pesto (works out to be ½ jar)
- 100ml single cream
- 100ml vegetable stock made with a stock cube
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 ball mozzarella, torn
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of non-stick grease proof paper and use a rolling pin to pound the chicken breasts until they are a thin and an even thickness all over. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil. Once the oil shimmers place the chicken breast in the pan and fry on both sides until the chicken is cooked through and the juice runs clear. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside while you make the pesto sauce.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and sauté until it’s fragrant and starts to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Add in the pesto, and stir.
- Pour the cream and the vegetable stock into the pan, mix with the pesto and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta to the pan tossing to coat the noodles.
- Slice the chicken and serve over the noodles with torn mozzarella and extra black pepper.
*You can use red pesto for this recipe if you prefer. Red pesto is made from sun-dried tomatoes.
* Instead of chopped walnuts you can use chopped pistachios
- Category: pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto pasta, 30 minute pasta, chicken pasta, aldi recipes
Need help with meal planning? You can find our (Aldi ingredients only) weekly meal plans here! Sign up to receive them free every week or take our quick meal planning course and grab the blank meal planner and use all these recipes to create your own meal plans.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!