This is a super simple creamy mushroom tagliatelle recipe that you will make over and over again. A 15-minute (vegetarian) garlicky creamy mushroom sauce tossed with silky noodles and finished with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of parsley. It's an easy pasta dinner made with ingredients from Aldi, but they're so basic you can get them at any shop.
Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle 🍝
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Ingredients for simple mushroom pasta
- mushrooms- brown preferably because they have more flavour, but white mushrooms work too.
- tagliatelle- any pasta will do, but the sauce hugs these long noodles making them perfect for cream sauce
- shallots and garlic- milder than onions shallots give a more delicate flavour to the sauce. And garlic is the perfect pairing with mushrooms
- lemon- balances out the creaminess of the sauce
- thyme and parsley- the perfect match for mushrooms
- single cream- much lighter than whipping or double cream, but still hugs those noodles
How to make creamy mushroom sauce
- Step 1 & 2- Boil some salted water in a large saucepan and cook the tagliatelle according to the package directions. This should only take about 8 minutes. Reserve about a mug full of the hot pasta water before draining the noodles.
- Slice the mushrooms. Cut some into quarters and cut others into slices. We want lots of mushrooms with a flat surface area so they get a gorgeous golden colour, but we also want some nice chunks of mushroom too.
- Heat some olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Sautee the mushrooms and some picked thyme leaves until the mushrooms are golden. Add in the minced shallots and garlic and continue to cook until the shallots are softened.
- Step 3 & 4- Add the cream into the pan and bring to a simmer. The sauce will thicken and you will need to add some pasta water. and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Add it gradually until the sauce is pourable, but still thick enough to hug the noodles.
- Mix in the chopped parsley and the drained noodles and stir everything to coat the noodles.
Variations and add-ins for mushroom sauce
- white wine- a very common and typical pairing with mushrooms. Add it in before you add in the cream, but after the mushrooms are browned.
- chicken- this dinner would be perfect with some already cooked chicken. Maybe some leftover roast chicken or some rotisserie chicken.
- parmesan cheese- fresh parmesan is a natural pairing with any pasta dish, so once you've plated it up and feel free to grate all the parm over your plate.
- spinach- the perfect way to get extra greens.
- cheese- you can add in all kinds of cheese here. Not just parmesan, but mozzarella, cheddar or swiss cheese will also work with a creamy mushroom pasta sauce.
Storing mushroom tagliatelle
This pasta dish often makes leftovers. If that is your situation, then store the pasta in airtight containers for up to 3 days in the fridge. These creamy kinds of pasta don't freeze well and tend to go mushy once they've been frozen and defrosted, so just fridge storing is what we're going for here.
To reheat this pasta, use a nonstick skillet or a microwave-safe bowl and heat until the pasta and sauce are hot. But you will have to add some water as the sauce thickens a lot as it cools.
More easy creamy pasta recipes
Tools used to make this one-pot creamy mushroom pastaPrint
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!