Ultra crispy rosemary garlic butter smashed potatoes are the perfect side dish any time. Perfect for a Sunday roast, but quick and easy enough for any weeknight too! Tender fluffy potato inside and super crispy on the outside. These little new potatoes will become your new favourite potato dish! And of course, all ingredient are from Aldi!
This recipe is so straight forward that it may not need the step by step instructions or photos, but I just always want to make sure that anyone, no matter how inexperienced they are in the kitchen, they can make any recipe on Savvy Bites. Easy, healthy and affordable meals should be accessible to everyone! So if you're a relatively confident cook, then skip straight to the recipe. If not, then follow along, and we'll make these ultra-crispy potatoes together!
Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Like this recipe? Pin it to your vegetable or side dish pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
The ingredients list here is very short! Just how we like it. When making these potatoes we boil them first, so it's important to make sure that they are small enough that they can be boiled whole and not take very long. I've used these miniature potatoes that Aldi are stocking right now, but you can use regular new potatoes either the white or the red new potatoes.
- new potatoes
- And please don't forget the salt!
Step by step for smashed potatoes
- Start by preheating the oven to 180ºc. It's always advisable to start by preheating the oven so that whenever you are ready to put your potatoes in, the oven is hot enough. If you put the potatoes in an oven that isn't hot enough, then they steam rather than roast and end up getting a little soggy.
- Place the potatoes in a tall sauce pot and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Season with water well with salt and toss in two peeled whole garlic cloves. This really helps to infuse the potatoes with garlic flavour. Bring the potatoes to a boil and simmer until their tender and you can insert a knife all the way through. Drain off the potatoes and place on a baking tray.
- While the potatoes are boiling, melt the butter in a saucepan and add in the minced garlic and chopped rosemary.
- Use a fork to crush the potatoes gently so that you break the skin and get ridges in the middle of the potatoes. These ridges get super crispy when they're drizzled with butter and roasted.
- Once all the potatoes have been drizzled with the rosemary garlic butter, pop them into the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until the edges are crispy and the centres are fluffy.
And that's it! As I said, this recipe is so easy, and approachable for even a novice cook. But please use caution when making these potatoes. You will find yourself eating these straight off of the pan without realising and they'll be gone before you know it!
Extra crispy rosemary garlic smashed potatoes will be your new go-to recipe. Crispy edges, fluffy potato middle and all the ingredients are from Aldi!
- 500g mini potatoes or new potatoes
- 50g butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 minced, 2 whole
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc
- Place the potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water and season well with salt and the peeled whole garlic cloves. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer until the potatoes are tender all the way through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a separate sauce pan and stir in the minced garlic and the chopped rosemary.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain them off and place them on a baking tray. Using a fork gently smash the potatoes until the skin is broken and there are ridges in the centre of each potato. Drizzle with the rosemary garlic butter and place in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until the edges of the potatoes and the ridges are turning golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- For leftovers, cool completely and store in the fridge in an airtight container. They will keep for about 3 days.
- To reheat these the next day, use a non-stick frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and reheat. The potatoes will get extra crispy. Just be sure to not overcook them.
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: smashed potatoes, sides, easy, budget, Aldi
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!