Mildly spicy sweet potato and carrot soup with Thai herbs is the perfect 30-minute dinner. Serve it with some rice and chopped almonds for a complete meal. It's cheap to make and really healthy, meaning it's perfect for January!
January is the perfect month for soup dinners. After a heavy season of rich foods for the holidays, we're all looking for something a little lighter. Maybe you're doing veganuary this year and need a little inspiration. Whatever the case, this soup is a new favourite. The rice and almonds are optional, but I highly recommend them. They just complete the whole meal and make it feel really substantial and satisfying.
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Soup pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- sweet potatoes- 2 large or 4 smaller ones (about 400g)
- carrots- 4-6 medium ones
- fresh garlic- if you love a lot of garlic then feel free to add more than what the recipe suggests (most of us do!)
- fresh ginger- same principle applies. Ginger is one of my favourites so I use a lot.
- Thai curry kit- Okay. Aldi doesn't sell Thai curry paste individually anymore. It's all part of their curry kit, but that's perfect because it has everything we need for this recipe and we don't need to waste money on a whole bunch of herbs and spices that we're only going to use every once in a while. This recipe uses the whole kit, so there's no waste of ingredients of money!
For serving (all optional)
- rice- everything is better with carbs, right?!
- chopped almonds- brings the crunch factor that smooth and creamy soups need
- chopped herbs- (coriander and mint)- cools the heat from the curry paste
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot and add in the garlic and ginger. Gently fry until they're golden. Add in the chopped carrots and sweet potatoes. Stir well to coat the potatoes and carrots with the garlic-ginger oil.
Step 3 & 4
- Pour the vegetable stock into the pot along with the curry paste. Make sure it's enough to just cover the potatoes. Stir well. If there are a few tips of potatoes peeking out of the broth that's perfectly fine. See photo above. Bring the stock up to a simmer and cover. Continue to simmer the soup until the carrots are tender and the potatoes are just starting to break apart.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, use a hand blender to blend the soup until smooth. This soup will be very thick. Add in some more water to make the soup the kind of consistency that you love.
Step 5 & 6
- Add the coconut milk and the spices/ herb packet to the soup and blend again until very smooth. Slice the dried chillies for the top of the soup. Divide into bowls and add in the rice and top with the chopped almonds and the chopped fresh herbs.
This soup freezes perfectly as most smooth blended soups do. It can be frozen laying flat in ziploc bags or in an airtight container. The recipe makes a lot of soup so it's perfect for meal prep or for just general freezer filling. Freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
Defrost in the fridge or you can reheat this straight from frozen. Heat in the microwave for 30-second intervals until the soup is piping hot, or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
More easy soup recipes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes (or 4 small ones), peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1-litre vegetable stock, made with a stock cube
- Thai red curry kit
For Serving (optional)
- white rice
- almonds, chopped
- dried chillies (from the curry kit) sliced
- lime wedges
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic and ginger to the pan and gently fry them until they are fragrant. About 2 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and carrots and stir to coat in the oil. Pour in the vegetable broth to just barely cover the potatoes and carrots. Add in the Thai red curry from the curry kit.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Continue to simmer until the sweet potatoes are very soft and the carrots are tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender and breaking apart use a stick blender to blend the soup until smooth. Pour in the coconut milk and all the contents of the spice pack except the chilli peppers. Blend again until the soup is smooth and the spice pack has been blended into the soup evenly.
- Scoop the cooked rice into bowls and add in the soup. Top with some chopped coriander, mint and lime wedges.
- The garlic and ginger don’t need to be chopped very finely because they’re just going to get blended with the stick blender.
- If you’re not concerned about keeping this soup vegan, then feel free to use chicken stock cubes in place of the vegetable.
- Because sweet potatoes cook faster than carrots, cut the potatoes larger. As they cook they will start to break apart. This is absolutely fine. It helps them to blend easier.
- This is obviously Thai inspired so I added rice and chopped almonds to make this feel like a more substantial meal, but it’s totally optional and you can serve the soup without any of the additions.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai inspired
Keywords: soup, vegan, budget recipes, Sweet potato & Carrot
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!