This avocado lime crema is a super creamy avocado cream sauce that is perfect for drizzling over tacos, serving with grilled fish or for dipping tortilla chips. Ripe avocado, fresh lime juice, and Greek yogurt blend up in about 2 minutes to make this creamy dressing.
This avocado yogurt dressing is amazingly drizzled over these chicken and shrimp tacos, or to serve with this one-pan Mexican chicken. It is a great balance for mixing with mango pico de gallo, or roasted corn mango salsa.
Mexican crema is a creamy condiment made with heavy cream, buttermilk, lime juice, and salt. This avocado lime crema is made from fresh ripe avocados, Greek yogurt, coriander (cilantro), lime juice, and salt. Often it's made with sour cream, but I prefer the tanginess of Greek yogurt. If you use fat-free Greek yogurt it's much lighter and healthier.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only takes 5 minutes to make.
- Avocado crema is really healthy if you use fat free Greek yogurt like this recipe.
- It goes great on tacos, steak, grilled fish, and pretty much anything Mexican based. You can also use it as a salad dressing.
- ripe avocado
- fat-free plain Greek yogurt *you can use sour cream or regular Greek yogurt
- limes- juice only
- coriander (cilantro)
- sea salt
See the recipe card for quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
- This recipe is so easy to make. Place everything in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- There is no need to chop or cut the coriander in any way. Use a spoon to scoop the avocado out of the skin and blend everything until smooth and creamy.
Hint: Add some extra water or lime juice if you would like to thin out the crema to make it more of a sauce consistency to use as a dressing over salad or pasta salad.
Substitutions & Variations
Some variations and substitutions that you can make to really put your own spin on this lime avocado crema.
- Garlic - you can add in ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder or a clove of fresh garlic if you like. I, personally, don't like the flavour or raw garlic so I skip it. But it can be really delicious for garlic lovers.
- Sour cream - use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt if you prefer.
All you need to make this lime and avocado crema is a food processor or a blender. These ones are great:
- Fridge - You can store this crema in an airtight container for about 3 days. Avocado sauce discolours slightly over time due to oxidation, but the lime juice helps with that.
- Freezer - These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
- Use ripe avocado.
- Don't bother picking the coriander off the stems. Everything gets blended.
- Use fat-free Greek yogurt to keep it a little healthy, or use sour cream to make it extra creamy.
Need help with meal planning? You can find our (Aldi ingredients only) weekly meal plans here! Sign up to receive them free every week or take our quick meal planning course and grab the blank meal planner and use all these recipes to create your own meal plans. Follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
The Best Easy Creamy Avocado Lime Crema
- 1 large avocado stone removed and flesh scooped out
- 300 ml Greek yogurt fat free *see notes
- ½ bunch coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt
- Scoop the avocado flesh from the skin and place in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the Greek yogurt and coriander. Squeeze the lime juice into the processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add extra lime juice or water to get your desired consistency. Drizzle over tacos or use as a dip for tortilla chips.