This chickpea salad recipe is a perfect addition to your summer BBQ or a refreshing lunch option. Not only is this summer salad easy to make but it's also packed with protein and fresh vegetables, making it a healthy side dish for any meal. It's a versatile dish that can be customised to your taste.
This easy chickpea salad recipe is bright and fresh due to the homemade lemon dressing and can be a great base for adding in so many different flavours.
The perfect side dish to BBQ pulled chicken; this salad only takes about 10 minutes to make. For more quick salad recipes check out our classic coleslaw recipe, or this rice salad. For something with a twist, this peach and spinach salad will be a new favourite.
⭐️ Why You'll Love This Simple Summer Salad
- Simple and Quick: This chickpea salad recipe is easy to prepare and can be ready in minutes. It's perfect for those busy days when you want a quick yet nutritious meal.
- Healthy: Packed with protein-rich chickpeas and fresh vegetables, it's a nutritious choice. Chickpeas are known for their high fiber and protein content, which can keep you full for longer. The fresh vegetables add a crunch and a variety of vitamins and minerals to the salad.
- Versatile: This salad can be a standalone lunch or a side dish for your BBQ parties. It's a great way to add a healthy touch to your meals.
- Customisable: You can easily add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences. Whether you want to add more vegetables or try a different dressing, this salad can be tailored to your liking.
🧾 Basic ingredients for chickpea salad
- Chickpeas: The star of the salad, chickpeas add a protein punch and a satisfying texture.
- Fresh Vegetables (Cucumber, Tomato, Red Onion): These add an amazing crunch to the salad.
- Avocado: Adds a creamy texture and healthy fats to the salad.
- Lemon for Dressing: Gives the salad a tangy kick.
- Olive Oil: Used in the dressing, it adds a rich flavour and healthy fats.
- Red Wine Vinegar: Adds a bit of acidity to balance the flavours.
- Cumin: Gives the salad a hint of warm earthiness.
- Optional add-ins: fresh herbs (basil, parsley), grilled chicken or prawns, pan-fried halloumi.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Moroccan Chickpea Salad: Add some Moroccan spices like coriander and cinnamon for an exotic twist.
- Chickpea Tomato Salad: Add extra tomatoes for a tangy flavour. You can use cherry tomatoes for a sweeter taste.
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad: Add roasted sweet potatoes for a hearty touch. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs well with the savoury chickpeas.
- Feta Cheese: Substitute avocado with feta cheese for a Greek twist. The salty feta cheese pairs well with the chickpeas.
- Vegetable Oil: Use vegetable oil instead of olive oil for a milder flavour. This can be a good option if you're not a fan of the strong flavour of olive oil.
- Lime Juice: Substitute lemon juice with lime juice for a different tang. This can give the salad a fresh and zesty twist.
👩🏻🍳 Step By Step
- Start by finely dicing the red onion and soaking it in cold water to mellow its harsh bite. This will make the onion less overpowering in the salad. *If you prefer a stronger onion flavour then skip this step.
- Combine the onions with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. This includes chickpeas, vegetables, and dressing.
- Adjust the seasoning with more lemon, salt, and pepper to your liking.
- Refrigerate the salad until you're ready to serve. This allows the flavours to meld together and makes the salad flavours more complex.
How to Make the Perfect Chickpea Salad Dressing
- Create a simple and delicious dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk the ingredients together until well combined, and drizzle it over your salad.
- Experiment with different herbs, spices, and vinegars to create your signature dressing.
Top tip for an incredible chickpea salad: You can make this salad up to 2 days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. This allows the flavours to meld together and makes the salad even more delicious.
- Fridge: Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. This allows you to make the salad ahead of time and enjoy it later.
- Freezer: This salad is best enjoyed fresh and is not suitable for freezing. The fresh vegetables can become soggy when frozen and thawed.
- Reheat: No reheating necessary, enjoy this salad chilled or at room temperature. The cool temperature makes it a refreshing meal, especially during the hot summer months.
💡 Top tips for a perfectly balanced salad
Adjust the salt level depending on the brand of chickpeas you use. Some brands of canned chickpeas have more sodium than others, so you might need to adjust the amount of added salt.
Chickpea salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to keep it in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
Yes, garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same thing. The name varies depending on the region, but they are the same legume.
Yes, chickpeas are naturally gluten-free, making them a great choice for individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Need more incredible salad ideas? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with this easy chickpea salad:
If you tried this Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please let me know in the comments below. I love hearing from you. Also, please leave a star rating whilst you're there!
Need help with meal planning? You can find our (Aldi ingredients only) weekly meal plans here! Sign up to receive them free every week or take our quick meal planning course and use all these recipes to create your own meal plans.
The Best Easy Chickpea Salad
- 1 (1) tin, 15 oz or 400 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (1) medium cucumber, about 200 g, diced
- 2 (2) medium tomatoes, about 200 g, diced
- 1 (1) medium red onion, about 150 g, finely diced
- 1 (1) ripe avocado, about 200 g, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons or 30 ml
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) 15 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) 5 g cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the onions
- Start by finely dicing the red onion and soak it in a bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes. This will help to tone down the pungency. After 10 minutes, drain the water and set the onions aside.
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and cumin to make the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assembling the salad
- Combine the drained and rinsed chickpeas, diced cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado in a large bowl.
- Add the soaked and drained onions to the bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients in the large bowl, and toss everything together until well combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning once more.
- Refrigerate the salad for 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- You can add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences. For example, you can add feta cheese for a Greek twist or use lime juice instead of lemon juice for a different tang.
- This salad can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. This allows the flavours to meld together and makes the salad even more delicious.
- Some brands of canned chickpeas have more sodium than others, so you might need to adjust the amount of added salt.
- This salad is best enjoyed fresh and is not suitable for freezing. Fresh vegetables can become soggy when frozen and thawed.