These oven-roasted tomatoes take an average supermarket tomato and turn them into something worth talking about. When these tomatoes get roasted with garlic, thyme, rosemary and sea salt they go from a "tomato" to something slightly smoky, sweet and juicy.
Full of flavour, they're the perfect building blocks for soup, pasta sauce or just as a side dish to serve with dinner. Instead of taking a long time to slow roast at a low temperature, these tomatoes get roasted at a very high temperature and are ready in about 25 minutes. But have no fear. They are as sweet and juicy as a slow-roasted tomato, just with a fraction of the time.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Sides pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Tomatoes- I've used the Regal Vine tomatoes for this recipe. They are less watery and have fewer seeds than the regular tomatoes, especially at this time of year. Plum tomatoes also work really well here.
- Herbs- I've opted for thyme and rosemary because they are natural friends of tomatoes and are the perfect Italian flavour profile, but you can skip the herbs if you really want to. This recipe really is about roasting these tomatoes until they're sweet and smoky. The herbs are just a nice addition.
- Garlic- Not an option. These tomatoes really do need a few slivers of garlic to compliment the rich tomato flavour.
- Sea salt- If you've been through the spice aisle at Aldi lately you've maybe seen the fancy salt that they've got. They have this pink Himilayan sea salt, smoked sea salt and coarse sea salt. The pink Himilayan is really lovely, but regular table salt works too.
- Vegetable oil- you can certainly use olive oil here, but we're roasting these at a high temperature and any flavour that the olive oil gives will be overpowered by the flavour of the tomatoes so you could just save the olive oil for special use!
Step by step directions
Depending on the size of the tomatoes you may want to just cut them in half, or if they're very large, you can quarter them. Either way, you're going to use all that surface area to get these tomatoes covered in herbs, garlic and sea salt to bring out the most flavour possible.
Step 1 & 2
- Cut the tomatoes. Place in a baking dish (cut side up) and season with salt, herbs and drizzle with vegetable oil.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until the tomato skins are starting to slip off, the edges are charred and the tomatoes are starting to smell smoky.
Slow roasted vs. Quick and easy
If you have a whole day at home and are looking to really up your roasted tomato game, then, by all means, lower the oven temperature and slow roast the tomatoes. Instead of getting really charred around the outside they will dehydrate and become very sweet. Almost like a sun-dried tomato... but ones that you make yourself.
Personally, I never seem to make the time for the slow-roasted and would probably rather just buy a sundried tomato anyway. When these tomatoes are cooked at a high temperature it really gives them a smokiness that slow-roasting cant bring.
If you do find yourself with the time and desire to slow roast then lower your oven temperature to about 120ºC and roast the sliced tomatoes for about 8 hours until they are dehydrated and very sweet.
You will find that you want to have some of these tomatoes on hand all the time. They can really form the building blocks for so many other dishes. They keep really well in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Either way, give them a fresh drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of salt before and after you freeze or fridge them.
These tomatoes are so so good used in dishes like pasta sauce (see tomorrows recipe) or they can form the base of soups like the roasted tomato soup or the creamy tomato pasta. Use them in pizza sauce, or just as a side dish to any dinner that you're making. Or may I suggest, simply stacked on top of some homemade bread with melted cheese!
Roasted tomato recipes
Smoky sweet oven-roasted tomatoes are the perfect side dish or addition to a savoury recipe. Full of intense tomato flavour and only 30 mins.
- 8 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked
- sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or use olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to about 250ºC
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on a baking tray or in a shallow roasting tin.
- Place the thinly sliced garlic on the tomato slices. Sprinkle with the herbs, and drizzle with the oil. Season with salt generously.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until the tomatoes are starting to shrink and char around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and use in your recipe or as a side dish.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge or three months in the freezer.
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Tomatoes, roasted, side dish, budget recipes
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!