This spicy Korean chicken only takes 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Pan-seared chicken in a spicy sauce served over some fluffy rice is the perfect weeknight dinner.
As I've said before Savvy Bites will never claim to make an authentic recipe. Using limited ingredients from Aldi, it just wouldn't be possible. But, there's no reason why that should limit the recipes we make. So, instead, we amend, improvise and make use of the ingredients we do have access to.
And of course, if you shop at other places, then by all means use items like sesame oil and seeds, as well as any other Asian ingredients you love.
For this Korean chicken recipe, we're using some substitutions and getting creative with what we've got.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's quick and easy.
- The chicken gets pan seared and tossed in a sticky sweet and spicy sauce.
- It makes great leftovers.
- Full of fresh ginger and garlic flavours.
- Super adaptable- serve it over rice or noodles and with broccoli or any other green veggies.
- Faster, cheaper and healthier than takeaway!
- soy sauce- dark or light works here.
- chilli powder
- chicken breast mini fillets (or chicken breast diced into strips)
- fresh garlic and ginger
- lime juice
- dry roasted peanuts for topping
- fresh parsley, basil or coriander for topping
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1 & 2
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Add in the chicken and leave to sit for about 30 minutes.
- If you are short on time, then you can skip the marinating, but you may lose a little depth of flavour. I've been on both sides of the marinating situation based on time, and you will still love this recipe even if you're short on time and skip the marinating process.
Step 3 & 4
- Heat a non stick skillet (or use cast iron) over high heat. The goal here is to get a very good sear on the chicken so a very hot skillet.
- Add a drop of oil into the hot pan. Use kitchen tongs or a fork to remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and carefully add to the pan.
- Sear the chicken for about 3-4 minutes before turning over to sear on the second side. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan and set aside. Pour the marinade into the pan and bring to a simmer for about 1 minute until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Toss the chicken through the sauce.
Step 5 & 6
- To serve this spicy chicken, steam some rice and tenderstem broccoli. Top with chopped dry roasted peanuts and lime wedges. You can use fresh chopped coriander, basil or parsley for topping this quick spicy Asian style chicken.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!