There's pretty much nothing like homemade pizza. It's absolutely better (and cheaper) than delivery and so much healthier. It's also much easier than you think. In about 30 minutes you can have a hot, fresh, cheesy pizza that won't leave you feeling overly full like many takeaway pizzas do.
Thin and crispy crust, topped with rich and hearty homemade pizza sauce. Then topped with cheese... and then a little more cheese! A Margherita pizza is a simple and classic pizza that is just pizza base, rich pizza sauce, basil and cheese.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pizza or Easy Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- pizza base
- pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch basil
Step by step directions
- Roll out the pizza base onto a piece of baking paper. Top with the pizza sauce and scatter with the mozzarella cheese. * Scattering some cheese directly on top of the sauce helps the toppings to stick to the pizza.
- Tear the fresh mozzarella into chunks, and scatter over the pizza. Tear the basil leaves and scatter generously on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a very hot oven for about 10-12 minutes. Until the cheese is melted and golden and the crust is crispy.
Tips and Tricks
Why two different mozzarella?
It may seem a little strange to use two different kinds of cheese but I highly recommend it. The fresh mozzarella is much more authentic to pizza however, it doesn't get melty and stringy the way shredded mozzarella does. And let's be honest, those lovely cheese pulls are the reason we eat pizza. Along with the crispy crust and the rich tomato sauce!
Because this pizza is a classic sauce and cheese situation that makes it perfect for adding all kinds of toppings.
- marinated artichokes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- grilled chicken
- chilli flakes
We all love leftover pizza, don't we? It kinda has a novelty to it. But delivery pizza tends to go a little "not great" overnight. But this pizza definitely has leftover potential. Wrap it in foil and place in the fridge overnight. To reheat it, keep it wrapped and place in an oven heated to 160ºC for about 10 minutes until it's hot.
Simple Margherita pizza made with a homemade pizza base and rich pizza sauce. Pizza that's 100x better than takeout. Everything from Aldi.
- ½ quantity of pizza dough
- ⅓ quantity of homemade pizza sauce
- 50g shredded mozzarella
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 250ºC fan oven. Leave a baking tray in the oven to get hot.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out the pizza dough into a round about ¼cm thickness. Place the pizza dough on a piece of baking paper so you can transfer to the baking tray.
- Top with the pizza sauce and the shredded mozzarella.
- Tear the ball of fresh mozzarella and place onto the pizza. Top with the fresh basil leaves.
- Very carefully, remove the baking tray from the oven and holding the edges of the paper place the pizza on the hot tray and place in the oven. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the pizza is bubbling and golden.
- Category: Easy Dinners
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pizza, Margherita, Easy recipes, Aldi recipes, Budget
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!