There's pretty much nothing like homemade pizza. It's absolutely better (and cheaper) than delivery and so much healthier. It's also much easier than you think. In about 30 minutes you can have a hot, fresh, cheesy pizza that won't leave you feeling overly full like many takeaway pizzas do.
Thin and crispy crust, topped with rich and hearty homemade pizza sauce. Then topped with cheese... and then a little more cheese! A Margherita pizza is a simple and classic pizza that is just pizza base, rich pizza sauce, basil and cheese.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pizza or Easy Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- pizza base
- pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch basil
Step by step directions
- Roll out the pizza base onto a piece of baking paper. Top with the pizza sauce and scatter with the mozzarella cheese. * Scattering some cheese directly on top of the sauce helps the toppings to stick to the pizza.
- Tear the fresh mozzarella into chunks, and scatter over the pizza. Tear the basil leaves and scatter generously on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a very hot oven for about 10-12 minutes. Until the cheese is melted and golden and the crust is crispy.
Tips and Tricks
Why two different mozzarella?
It may seem a little strange to use two different kinds of cheese but I highly recommend it. The fresh mozzarella is much more authentic to pizza however, it doesn't get melty and stringy the way shredded mozzarella does. And let's be honest, those lovely cheese pulls are the reason we eat pizza. Along with the crispy crust and the rich tomato sauce!
Because this pizza is a classic sauce and cheese situation that makes it perfect for adding all kinds of toppings.
- marinated artichokes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- grilled chicken
- chilli flakes
We all love leftover pizza, don't we? It kinda has a novelty to it. But delivery pizza tends to go a little "not great" overnight. But this pizza definitely has leftover potential. Wrap it in foil and place in the fridge overnight. To reheat it, keep it wrapped and place in an oven heated to 160ºC for about 10 minutes until it's hot.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!