Cosy, comforting and easy. This chicken and broccoli bake is made with rice instead of pasta and is the perfect healthy, but still cheesy dinner dream. Of course, all ingredients are from Aldi UK and all the step by step know-how is below! ♥
This one-pot dinner wonder needs your attention this week. But let’s be honest about what this is. It’s straight-up comfort food.
It ticks all your boxes…
- quick and easy
- uses basic ingredients
- is made in one pan
- is highly customisable (add in extra veggies, skip the cheese… whatever)
Chicken & Broccoli Bake
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Ingredients needed for making Chicken and Broccoli Bake
- Garlic granules
- Chicken stock (made with a stock cube or use fresh)
How to make Chicken Broccoli Bake Step By Step
- Heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat and add a drop of oil. Add in the onion, carrot and mushrooms. Saute until lightly golden.
- Add in the chicken and rice. Let cook for a few more minutes, until the chicken starts to turn golden.
- Pour in the stock, add garlic and broccoli and let it come to a simmer. Cook covered for about 25 minutes until the rice is done.
- Add some milk, lemon zest and cheese to the top and bake until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
Can you freeze this baked chicken and rice?
You absolutely can! To freeze it just make the recipe up to but not including the cheese and oven baking step. This works for freezing it and making ahead.
To defrost it, leave in the fridge overnight or on the worktop for a few hours and top with the cheese and bake as directed.
See how easy that was? This recipe is for the tired and hungry need-a-filling-dinner-ASAP kinda people. Because you’re my people right now. So carry on my broccoli and chicken and cheese-loving people of the world. This dinner needs you and you need it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into half moons
- 300g mushrooms, quartered
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 300g rice (basmati or brown)
- 2 springs rosemary
- 800ml stock made with a stock cube (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 broccoli cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 120ml milk
- 155g cheddar cheese (or similar), grated
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a cast iron pan heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms. Gently sauté for 2 minutes to soften the onions. Add the chicken, butter, broccoli, garlic and rice. Stir until the chicken is starting to sear and the rice is getting toasted.
- Pour the stock in the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Continue to cook covered for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the lid from the pan and stir in the milk. Top with the cheese and bake, uncovered in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted bubbling.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: One pan dinner, chicken, easy, winter
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!