This baked potato soup is a creamy and hearty soup that's still healthy. It gets it's a super creamy texture from blending the soup with just a drop of single cream. Serve it with some crispy golden pancetta and sliced green onions, just like a proper baked potato.
Baked Potato Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Soup pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Baking potatoes
- Chicken or vegetable stock cubes
- Pancetta (smoked or unsmoked)
- Single cream
- Green onions
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2
- Start by poking the potatoes with a fork and wrapping them in foil. They don't need to be individually wrapped. Bake them in the oven for about 45 minutes until they are tender and cooked all the way through.
- While the potatoes are baking, soften the onions and garlic in some olive oil in a large saucepan.
Step 3 & 4
- When the potatoes are tender, chop them and place them into the pan with the softened onion and garlic.
- Use boiling water to make the stock and pour into the saucepan. Bring it all to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are very soft. Remove from the heat, and use a stick blender to blend the soup until creamy.
*Potatoes really love salt. So taste and season accordingly. But also remember that the pancetta will be salty too. So don't be too aggressive with the seasoning.
Baked potato soup FAQ's
- Q. Do I add the baked potato skins to the soup?
- A. Yes! We're in the business of making this super easy! And that potato skin has so much nutritional value. So, yes. What I did was to chop 3 potatoes skin and all and scoop out the flesh of the other 3 potatoes. But you can use all the skin if you want.
- Q. Can I skip the cream?
- A. The cream adds a richness to the soup, but it's not necessary. You can skip this step, or you could go with true indulgence and add in some double or soured cream.
- Q. What else can I add to this soup?
- A. Like lots of recipes on Savvy bites, I keep it pretty simple, so that you can start with what you've got and add-in from there. So some options are...
- Diced ham
- Leftover roast chicken
- Sweet corn
- Shredded cheese
Baked potato soup is perfect for freezing and it stores for up to 6 months. Just freeze in sealed containers and defrost in the microwave. Freeze without adding in the pancetta and green onion.
More simple soup recipes
Simple Healthy Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 (1) yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 6 (6) potatoes, baked
- 1.25 (5 cups) litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 150 ml (5 floz) single cream
- 35 g (1 ¼ oz) pancetta lardons, smoked or unsmoked *see notes
- 2 (2) green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Pierce the potatoes with a fork all over and wrap in foil. Place the foil packet of potatoes into a roasting tray and roast for about 45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- While the potatoes are roasting heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan and sweat the onions and garlic until they are soft and translucent. Once the potatoes are baked, chop them (including the skin) and place them in the sauce pot with the onions and garlic.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and continue to simmer until the potatoes are very very tender and starting to break apart. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. Add in the cream and stir until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Divide into bowls and serve with the pancetta and sliced green onions.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!