Dinner just got really easy and really delicious. You're going to love getting dinner on the table in 30 minutes with a pot of my creamy tomato pasta soup recipe. It's so easy and is a healthy and hearty dinner that's a tasty change from the usual pasta in sauce. And of course, you can get all your ingredients from Aldi UK because we love easy dinners!
Okay. So let's talk pasta and soup and all things cosy and healthy. Because this simple and easy soup ticks both of those boxes. It's the perfect weeknight dinner that isn't "takeout... again!"
This recipe uses vegetarian ricotta and spinach tortellini but you can absolutely use meat-based tortellini. Aldi has a gorgeous ham stuffed version available in the pasta section.
Tortellini Pasta Soup
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Soup pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Ingredients needed to make Tortellini Pasta Soup
- Tortellini (veggie or meat-based)
- Carrot, Celery & Onion
- Basil (fresh & dried)
- Dried oregano
- Tinned tomatoes
- Single cream
- Tomato Paste (optional)
- Vegetable Stock Cubes (optional)
Making Pasta Soup Step By Step
- Start with the carrots, celery and onion. Gently saute them in a pan with a little drop of olive oil. Once they're soft and the onions are translucent you can go ahead and add the dried herbs.
- If you're going to use the tomato paste, this is the time to add it. Tomato paste just helps to thicken the soup and deepen the tomato flavour. Often it is responsible for a richness in dishes that you just can't quite pick out, but you know it's there.
- Once you've added the tomato paste, add in the tinned tomatoes. If you're using a stock cube add-in the stock here. If not just add in 500ml of water. I usually use a stock cube as it helps to add seasoning to the soup, but sometimes I skip it and just use water. Either way, it's all about the pasta!
- Bring everything to a simmer and add in the pasta. Cook the pasta in the soup according to the package directions. The tortellini I use only takes about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cream. Add in the spinach and basil leaves and just let the leaves wilt in the heat of the soup. You can cover the pan with a lid to help it along quickly.
Should you use fresh, dried or frozen tortellini?
Any of the above are perfect for this recipe. It's so adaptable that it won't matter. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time to accommodate whichever you choose. If using frozen pasta, just remember that it will take a little longer to cook, so lengthen the cooking time by a few minutes. For fresh you may need to shorten cooking time so that the pasta doesn't go soggy.
How long can I keep pasta soup and how can I freeze it?
This creamy healthy soup keeps in the fridge for 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To freeze it, let the soup cool completely then divide it into freezer-safe containers (I like to use glass ones so they can go straight from freezer to microwave) or freezer bags. Label them with the date and you've got dinner for any night of the week.
Looking to Meal Prep this Soup?
Make the tomato soup step by step, but skip the part where you add the tortellini. Cool and refrigerate. When you're ready, simply reheat the soup and add in the tortellini cooking for the instructed time.
Top your soup with shavings of parmesan and extra basil leaves. And be proud of the soup master you have just become!
Need More Soup Recipes? Give these a try!
Tools used to make this Pasta Soup
Hearty Vegetarian Pasta Soup (Tortellini)
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 (1) onion, chopped
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) tomato puree
- 800 g (28 ⅕ oz) chopped tomatoes, 2 x 400g tins with herbs or without
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock made with 1 stock cube
- 250 g (2 ¼ cups) pack tortellini, any variety I’ve used spinach and ricotta
- 400 g (5 cups) spinach
- 250 ml (1 cups) single cream
- ½ (½) bunch basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) parmesan, optional
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauce pan over a medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Once the onions and garlic are soft stir in the tomato puree and stir into the onions. Pour in the chopped tomatoes with all the juices and the 500ml of vegetable stock. Bring this up to a boil and add in the tortellini.
- Boil the tortellini in the tomatoes and broth for 5 minutes until the tortellini is cooked and the pasta is soft. Turn the heat down to low and add the single cream. Stir it in well.
- Once the cream is added turn off the heat and add the spinach and half the chopped basil leaves. Let the spinach wilt by stirring it into the soup. Season to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and top with parmesan shavings and the remaining basil leaves.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!