Easy crispy chilli chicken is the new weeknight menu rescue plan. Soy marinated chicken that goes deep golden and crispy when pan-fried all coated in a spicy Chinese honey sauce that will make you question the necessity of all other condiments. It's all ready in 30 minutes and uses just some basic ingredients all available from Aldi! 🙌🏻
This quick and simple chicken dinner is the perfect midweek meal. It feels better than takeaway and is so much better for you. Yes. You totally get to avoid that sluggish post takeout feeling AND get all the flavour and satisfaction of a top tier Asian chicken dinner. This recipe is similar to the sweeter honey chilli chicken, and the lemon chicken (are you noticing a theme here?!). But it's still a solid stand-alone Chinese chicken recipe.
These saucy Asian chicken dream can be served over rice or noodles, and if you decide to make some extra sauce (of course you will!) then please add an extra drizzle just before serving. Chopped cashews are not optional!
Crispy Chilli Chicken
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Chicken- I found these chicken breast sizzlers this week. They're quick-cooking because they've been flattened for us! But if you have regular chicken breast that's fine too. Just cut the chicken into chunks.
- Sriracha- Aldi does their own version and you can add extra or reduce it for this recipe depending on how spicy you like it.
- Soy sauce- Marinating the chicken in soy sauce and cornstarch helps to season this chicken all the way through. So go very easy on seasoning the chicken before cooking. It may not need salt at all.
- Honey- Balances out the spiciness of the Sriracha.
- Fresh ginger and garlic- Adds so much fragrant flavour to the sauce. The flavour builders of Asian food.
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2 Chinese chicken marinade
- Chop the chicken into chunks or strips. Whisk the cornstarch and the soy sauce together. Toss to coat the chicken and set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Step 3 & 4 Frying the chicken & adding the sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the ginger and garlic, until just starting to turn golden. Turn up the heat and add in the chicken.
- Fry the chicken over medium-high heat until it's deep golden and some of the edges have started to blacken ever so slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring to a simmer until the chicken is coated and the sauce has thickened. Take care not to burn the sauce. Honey has a lot of sugar and can burn easily.
Step 5 & 6 Serving the chicken
Place some steamed rice (or noodles) into a bowl and top with the chicken, drizzling with extra sauce if you like. Top with the chopped cashews, coriander and some sliced spring onion and red chilli peppers.
- You can marinate the chicken for up to 2 hours, or marinate it and freeze it ready for a weeknight dinner.
- Double the sauce ratio and store some in the fridge for adding to fried rice or any other Asian inspired dish. May I suggest that you use this as a sauce for a noodle stir fry!
- Get your pan very hot for frying the chicken. You don't need a lot of oil, here. Heat is the most important part. Just be sure to keep the chicken moving so it doesn't burn.
- This chicken is perfect for leftovers.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. You can freeze this chicken with the rice as one dinner and defrost and/or microwave. These are perfect as a solo dinner.
- And these freezer containers are perfect!
More easy chicken recipes
Need help with meal planning? You can find our (Aldi ingredients only) weekly meal plans here! Sign up to receive them free every week or take our quick meal planning course and grab the blank meal planner and use all these recipes to create your own meal plans.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!