These soft and fluffy cheese rolls are made using easy bread dough and rolled with shredded cheddar cheese and a roasted tomato & red pepper sauce.
These cheese rolls are the perfect companion to soup, or as a side dish for pretty much any dinner, but especially pasta. Soft and fluffy bread dough is just rolled up with some cheese and fresh thyme leaves.
Soft & Fluffy Cheese Rolls
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Bread pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- strong white flour
- fast-acting yeast
- whole milk
- tomato and grilled red pepper sauce
- cheddar cheese
- thyme leaves
Step by step directions
Step 1 & 2
- This recipe has been made super easy in that it only uses one bowl. Start by weighing the butter and milk in a medium bowl and warming in the microwave. The mixture should be warm and the butter melted.
- Once the mix is warm but not hot, whisk in the eggs, yeast and honey. Set the bowl aside for about 5 minutes until the yeast has started to froth on the top of the mix. Add in the flour and salt.
Step 3 & 4
- Mix the flour and milk mixture together until you have a shaggy dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until the dough comes together and is soft and bounces back when gently pressed.
Step 5 & 6
- Place the dough back in the mixing bowl and cover with a tea towel or some cling film and set in a warm place until doubled in size. This should only take about 30-40 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle about ¼ cm thick.
Step 7 & 8
- Spread the red pepper sauce over the entire surface of the dough and sprinkle the thyme leaves and then cheddar over the surface. Press the cheese lightly into the dough.
- Add extra cheese, herbs or even toss in some parma ham to turn these into pizza rolls.
Step 9 & 10
- Starting with the long edge closest to you roll the dough tightly. When you've rolled the dough into a log, pinch along the edge to seal. Cut the dough into 9 equal rolls.
- Place with the cut side up in a lined baking tin. Leave covered in a warm place for another 30 minutes, then bake.
These rolls are vegetarian the way they are but here are some ideas for add-ins
- crispy pancetta lardons
- parma ham
- chopped sun-dried tomatoes
These rolls really are at they're very best on the day they're baked, but I do always love having a couple in the freezer so that I have a quick side with some soup or a snack on a very busy day.
- Freezing- Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil for up to 3 months
- Room temperature- In an airtight container for about 2 days. They will dry out a little, but a quick zap in the microwave will soften them up again in no time.
Soup recipes to serve with cheese rolls
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!