This absolutely gorgeous pan-fried salmon has a crispy skin, golden crust and the perfect tender flaky fish inside. All made in a simple garlic butter parsley sauce. Everything gets made in one pan and only takes about 15 minutes! The perfect healthy, dinner.
You may be intimidated by cooking fish, but truly have no fear. It is really easy and there are some top tips below that will ensure you have absolutely perfect salmon (or any fish) every time. This dinner is so simple but restaurant-worthy. Fresh lemons, fresh parsley and some butter are all you need here. This recipe really does benefit from using real butter rather than non-dairy spread.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner pinboard!
Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh salmon fillets
- Olive oil
Step by step directions
This recipe is so simple but there are a few things you need to know about making the perfect pan-fried salmon.
- Use some kitchen paper to dry your salmon really well. You want dry fish so that it sears rather than steams. And make sure that your salmon is room temperature so that it cooks evenly.
- Use a very good quality non-stick skillet. <- This is probably the most important tip. Nothing is more frustrating than having your fish stick to a pan and fall apart during the cooking process.
Step 1 & 2
- A splash of olive oil in the pan to cook the salmon helps. Place the salmon flesh side down in the oil and place on the hob. Heat the pan to medium-high heat. This is the one time that you want to put food into a cool pan. If you put the salmon in a very hot pan, it runs the risk of shrinking and curling around the edges.
- Cook the salmon for about 6 minutes on the flesh side. Then turn over and cook for another 2 minutes, until the fish is done. Remove the salmon to a plate and add 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan. Let it foam and bubble. It will start to brown in spots. Add in the lemon juice, garlic and parsley and let it simmer on the heat for another minute to 2. Feel free to add in about 3 tablespoons of white wine to the sauce if you're feeling fancy.
- Add the salmon back to the pan, off the heat and spoon the butter sauce over the salmon.
If you want to keep this pan-seared salmon low carb then simply serve it with some wilted spinach and loads of roasted vegetables. Or serve with these smashed potatoes. Or over some pasta, this would be the ultimate healthy comfort food.
Pan Fried Salmon
- 4 fillets of fresh salmon
- 2 lemons 1 sliced, 1 juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter salted is fine
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley chopped
- Pat dry room temperature salmon filets with paper towel. Season all over with salt, pepper.
- Place the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet place salmon filets flesh side down, pressing them lightly so the entire surface of the flesh comes into contact with the pan and heat over medium high heat. Sear, undisturbed, for 5-6 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Flip and sear the other side of each filet for TWO minutes. Remove the salmon to a plate and add in the butter, chopped garlic, 3 tablespoons of parsley, the juice of 1 lemon and the lemon slices. Place the salmon back in the pan and stir the butter and garlic around each filet.
- Continue to cook the salmon for a further 1-2 minutes, or until salmon reaches desired doneness. (The butter will begin to brown slightly.) Taste test and season with salt and pepper to your tastes, and add more lemon juice if desired.
- Garnish with the remaining parsley and drizzle the butter over each filet.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!