These stuffed peppers with rice are a bright and vibrant change from the usual stuffed pepper situation. Keeping it cosy but still nice and light using rice and basil marinated tomatoes. Topped with feta and olives these are the perfect late summer dinner. Vegetarian, fresh and so quick and simple to make. And all ingredients are from Aldi, of course!
- 3 Red, yellow or mixed bell peppers, but in half lengthways
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 500g cooked rice, warmed
- kalamata olives
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
Marinated cherry tomatoes
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g feta crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Cut the peppers in half and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle and toss with the olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Sprinkle the dried oregano over the inside of the peppers. Roast in the preheated oven until the peppers start to char around the edges, about 25-30 minutes.
- Toss the halved cherry tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the chopped basil. Season well with salt and pepper. Let marinate until the peppers are assembled.
- While the peppers are roasting, cook the rice according to the package directions. Once the rice is cooked and still hot, toss with the olives, lemon juice and zest, feta and 1/2 the chopped basil.
- Stuff the rice mixture into the peppers and top with basil tomatoes.
- Note 1- pepper size this filling makes enough to fill 3 peppers cut in half. So 6 halves, using regular bell peppers. If you’re using the larger red bell peppers then this filling will only fill 2 peppers. Either make more filling or only use 2 peppers.
- Note 2- Because the rice is cooked separately and not in the peppers, you can use whatever rice suits you. Because these ingredients are from Aldi only, the only choice I had was long grain white, brown, or basmati. But if you shop elsewhere then by all means, you can use wild rice or any other type. I would suggest against sushi rice as it will be very sticky and not great for this recipe.
- Note 3- You could also use couscous in place of the rice.
- Category: Easy Dinners
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Aldi recipes, stuffed peppers, rice, Mediterranean