Slow cooker chicken korma. Golden seared chicken slow-cooked in creamy fragrant coconut milk and yoghurt sauce. The junction of easy and delicious. ♡
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot sliced, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, minced
- 4 tablespoons korma mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1kg chicken thighs, cut in half
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Mix the yoghurt with the turmeric, korma spice and chilli flakes. Place the yogurt mix in a large bowl or a ziplock bag and add in the chicken. Rub the marinade into the chicken and leave in the marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
- If your slow cooker has a searing setting or can go on the hob, then heat it over medium heat and add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Otherwise, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken from the marinade and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Once the chicken is browned remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the skillet or the slow cooker. Add in the onion, shallot, ginger and garlic. Gently fry for about 10 minutes until the onions are golden. Stir in the Greek yogurt mix, tomato paste and coconut milk. Bring everything to a gentle simmer and add the chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6