This one-pot Mexican rice is an amazing restaurant-worthy dinner that’s ready in only 30 minutes. It’s vegetarian, but feel free to add chicken or prawns or serve it alongside tacos or fajitas or just have it as a meal in itself. And of course, all ingredients are from Aldi UK making it totally budget-friendly!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 250g basmati or white rice
- 750ml vegetable or chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 250g corn (tinned) or fresh or frozen
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 75g cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Chopped coriander
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the onion. Sautee for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent and then add in the garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the rice and toast in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, corn, courgette and peas. Add in the chilli powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and continue to simmer until the rice is cooked. If using basmati, this should take about 13-16 minutes, but check the package instructions.
- Once the rice is cooked, leave it to stand for 10 minutes, before fluffing with a fork. Scatter the chopped coriander over top and serve with tortilla chips if required.
- Cooking the rice- if you’re using brown rice, be sure to check the cooking time and adjust accordingly. It can often take longer than white rice and may require a top-up of water as it can absorb more too.
- Leftover rice- Cool the rice completely and store in an airtight container with a lid. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. No longer.
- To reheat- Microwave on high in 30-second intervals until rice is piping hot. Or on the stovetop, simply heat in a non-stick pan until hot.
- Category: One Pot
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican, rice, one pot, Aldi recipe, cheap meal ideas, easy dinners, budget meal plan