Healthy lemon courgette muffins are the BEST breakfast/ brunch muffin. Lemony and bright and made with simple ingredients like courgette, olive oil, flour, and sugar. Love these!
- 170g courgette, grated (about 1 medium courgette)
- 160g light brown sugar
- 125ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 120g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC and grease a muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and egg.
- Grate the courgette using the medium side of a cheese grater. Squeeze the excess water out of the courgettes over the sink and add to the bowl. Mix the ingredients well. A wooden spoon is all you need.
- Mix in the dry ingredients- the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarb of soda. No need to sift everything together.
- Pour the muffin mix between the cups of the muffin tin. Each cup should weigh between 75-85g.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes and check them. My oven runs a little on the cool side so I had to add an extra 8 minutes. Check the muffins after 15 minutes. If they need more time, keep checking after every 5 minutes. When the muffins are fully baked take them out and leave them to cool for about 5 minutes in the tin before turning them out to finish cooling on a wire rack.
To weigh them, place the muffin tin on a set of kitchen scales and tare the weight to zero after filling each cup.
You can store these at room temperature or in the fridge. The olive oil keeps them very moist. You can also freeze them for up to 6 months.
- Category: Easy Baking
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: courgette, sweet, breakfast, easy, lemon, Aldi recipe