Thick, rich and flavourful. This chili is packed with shredded chicken, mixed beans and fresh seasonings. A classic that is a MUST make!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breast (put them in whole) then shred with 2 forks
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 340g sweetcorn (2 cobs sweetcorn corn cut off the cob or use tinned or frozen)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tin taco mixed beans
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder – add more or less depending on spice tolerance
- 1 teaspoon chilli garlic spice
- 500ml chicken stock
Toppings- see notes
- tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc. Place the peppers, sweetcorn and jalapeno on a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil and some salt and roast in a hot oven for about 15 minutes (until toasty looking)
- While the veggies are roasting, sweat the onions, mushrooms and garlic and all the spices in the pan until everything is really soft and fragrant. It’ll only take about 10 minutes. Once the everything in the pan is really soft and fragrant add in the roasted peppers and corn.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes and beans. Give it all a good stir and bring it up to a simmer. Add in the chicken breasts and continue to gently simmer uncovered until the chicken is cooked through. This should only take about 15 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked through use tongs to pull them out and place them on a chopping board. Using two forks, pull the chicken apart until you have two shredded chicken breasts. Scoop it all back into the pot and give it all a good stir. Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning. More salt, chili powder, cumin. Whatever you feel you need a little boost of.
- Notes- I didn’t give any quantities for the toppings because it’s such a personal thing. So, go with more of what you want and less of what you don’t.
- Notes- About seasoning. I never put quantities for salt and pepper because they are so subjective. But all recipes will need them
- Category: Easy Dinners
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken, chili, shredded, budget meal, Aldi recipe