The BEST Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup! AKA the only soup you're going to need this autumn. This should also actually be called "Super easy kinda spicy and really creamy roasted butternut squash and sweet potato soup".
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk (reserve to tablespoons for serving)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Cut the squash and sweet potatoes into large chunks about 2 inches in size. Slice the onion into half moons. Place all the vegetables in a roasting tin and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle over the cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and golden around the edges.
- Once the veggies are roasted, place them in a sauce pan and cover with water or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil quickly over a high heat. Make sure that all the vegetables are completely cooked by inserting a knife into them. Blend the soup. *See Notes on blending.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup and whisk to combine. Add the chilli flakes and adjust seasoning. Also adjust consistency if desired by adding more water or vegetable stock.
- Swirl the reserved coconut milk and top with the fresh chopped coriander.
Note 1. Blending. If using an upright blender, pour or ladle the veggies and stock carefully into the blender jug and blend on high for about 2 minutes. Be very careful. The soup will be very hot. Once blended, pour the soup back into the jug.
If using an immersion or stick blender, then leave the veggies in the pan and blend until smooth.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: vegan, roasted butternut squash, soup, freezer friendly