Puttanesca pasta is a budget-friendly meal with inexpensive pasta that gets a flavour kick from ingredients like anchovies, olives, & garlic.
- 300g spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 anchovies
- 2 tin cherry tomatoes in juice
- 12 kalamata olives, with the pits, cut out
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Drain off and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a nonstick skillet and add in the garlic and diced onion. Heat until the onions are very soft and the garlic is very fragrant. This should take about 5-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the onions are soft, add in the anchovies and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the anchovies melt into the onions.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and bring the sauce up to a gentle simmer. Let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes have burst and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped olives and the parsley. Add in the chilli flakes according to your taste and how spicy you like your pasta. I find usually about a teaspoon is enough. Toss with the cooked spaghetti noodles and serve.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Puttanesca, easy pasta, Aldi recipes, budget